Sweet Potato Pie with Marshmallow Meringue
• 1 1/4 cup (170 grams) all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
• 1/4-1/3 cup water
• 1 pound (454 grams) sweet potatoes
• 2 large eggs
• 1/3 cup (66 grams) brown sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
• 1/2 cup milk
• 2 tablespoons heavy cream
• 2 tablespoons bourbon
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 7-ounce (198 grams) jar marshmallow cream
• 3 egg whites
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup (50 grams) sugar
1. In a food processor, add the flour and salt and pulse a few times until combined. Add the cubed butter and pulse a few more times until the butter is the size of small peas.
2. Add the water, starting with 1/4 cup, and sprinkling it over the the flour mixture. Pulse a few times until the mixture starts to come together. If you grab a handful of dough, it should hold together. Add more water if necessary.
3. Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days. When ready, roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to a rough 13 inch circle. Transfer to a 8 or 9-inch pie dish and chill in the fridge until ready to bake.
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and bake until tender, about 40 minutes. Let cool, then peel and remove any dark spots.
5. In a food processor, puree the sweet potatoes. Add the eggs, brown sugar, salt, and nutmeg and mix until smooth. Add the milk, heavy cream, bourbon and vanilla and mix until smooth.
To bake the pie:
6. Reduce oven temp to 375 degrees. Prick the bottom of the pie crust with a fork. Line the pie crust with a big sheet of parchment paper and fill with baking weights or dried beans. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the parchment and beans and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
7. Remove the pie from the oven and pour the sweet potato filling into the crust. Bake until set, about 40 minutes. Let cool completely.
8. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, mix the egg whites and salt on high speed until foamy. While mixing, add the sugar a tablespoon at a time. Whip the meringue to stiff peaks.
9. Pour the marshmallow cream into a large bowl. Add 1/3 of the meringue and fold in gently until incorporated. Marshmallow will be sticky. Once combined, add the rest of the meringue and fold until smooth.
Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Use a spatula to spread the marshmallow meringue on top of the cooled pie, making sure the meringue goes all the way to the crust. Bake until meringue is browned, watching it carefully, about 7-10 minutes. Let meringue cool before slicing. Store pie in the fridge.