Soft Dinner Rolls with Smoked Sea Salt & Chive Butter
Special Equipment: Digital scale, 1 9 inch round cake pan, stand mixer fitted with dough hook attachment and a pastry brush
• 3 tbsp. dry active yeast
• 1 ½ cups warm water (between 100°-110°)
• 1 lb. 6 oz. bread flour
• 1 tbsp. kosher salt
• 1/3 cup granulated sugar
• 2 tbsp. vegetable shortening
• 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
• 1 egg
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 tsp. milk or cream
• Fleur de Sel for sprinkling on top
• 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature (leftover from rolls)
• 6 sprigs fresh chives, finely minced
• 1 tsp. smoked sea salt, such as Maldon
1. Begin by blooming the yeast. Dissolve yeast in warm water and let sit for 5 minutes until bubbly. Meanwhile, in the stand mixer bowl place flour, salt, sugar, shortening, butter and egg. Gently combine ingredients with dough hook for 1 minute. Add the bloomed yeast and water mixture. Combine on low speed.
2. Once all of the flour is incorporated, bump the speed up to medium and knead the dough for 10-13 minutes or until smooth and elastic. After 10-13 minutes, remove the dough from mixer and place in a well-oiled bowl. Then cover and place in a warm area to rise for 1½ hours or until doubled in size. (I like to place my near the oven if it is on).
3. While you’re waiting for your dough to rise, turn your oven on to 375° if it isn’t already, and grease your cake pan with butter or cooking spray.
4. Once your dough has risen, gently punch down with your hand and begin weighing out the rolls on the scale. Weigh each roll to 3 oz., then gently roll into a tight, smooth ball and place into your greased cake pan. Continue this with all of the dough lining each ball up next to one another in the pan starting from the outside, and working your way in. I ended up with 10 around the edge and 4 in the middle. Once all of the dough is rolled out, place the pan in a warm area, covered, and let the formed rolls rise for 30 minutes.
5. Before placing the rolls in the oven, combine your egg and cream/milk and gently brush the wash over the tops of the rolls. Then sprinkle the salt on the washed rolls. Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. (If they begin to brown too much you can place a piece of foil on top to help slow the browning down)
6. Time to make the butter. Combine butter, salt and chives in a bowl and mix well. Place in a serving dish/bowl and garnish with more chopped chives. Serve on the side of rolls.
7. Once removed from oven let cool slightly and then finish cooling out of the pan on a cooling rack or remove and serve! Enjoy!