What To Wear On International Women’s Day
On March 8, women all over the world will come together to promote social, economic, cultural and political equality. The theme of this year’s International Women’s Day is Be Bold for Change. Fashion has recently been taking a stand against gender inequality, with designers like Prabal Gurung, Dior, Jonathan Simkhai and more creating merchandise that champions women’s rights and benefits women’s organizations. (Some women are even going on strike this year to show what the working world would be like without them.) Here, we’ve pulled together fashion-girl-approved items that send a message of female empowerment and benefit our fellow ladies across the globe.
This pin is a small but statement-making gesture acknowledging women's rights.
- Feminist Fist Lapel Pin, Feel Good Co. $10
Otherwild's collaboration with Baggu supports women by announcing that the future is most definitely female.
- The Future is Female Baggu, Otherwild $20
31 Bits uses fashion and design to empower people to rise above poverty.
- Sunda Ring, 31 Bits $24
Purpose provides professional opportunities to young women rescued from sex trafficking.
- Magnolia Brass Hoops, Purpose $24
This canvas bag makes a bold statement in support of feminism.
- Feminism Is Not a Dirty Word Tote Bag, Feminist Apparel $25
In celebration of International Women's Day, H&M is supporting Girl Up, an organization that unites girls to change the world, with an in-store register drive.
- Short Hooded Sweatshirt, H&M $25
With each T-shirt sold, My Sister works to minimize commercial sexual exploitation and dismantle the system that allows people to be sold into the sex trade for others' profit.
- Not Yours White & Red Tee, My Sister $34
Five dollars from every empowerment bracelet purchased will be donated to Planned Parenthood.
- Women's Empowerment Bracelet, Motif $35
Krochet Kids gives women living in poverty skills, education and resources to change their circumstances forever. Each product is hand-signed by the woman who made it, and you can see her profile on the website to learn her story.
- The Dakota, Krochet Kids $45
All profits from this feminist T-shirt will be donated to An Afternoon For You, an organization that puts on workshops to support and empower children.
- Feminist Tee, Me and You $48
A portion of proceeds will be donated to the National Organization for Women.
- Girl Power Sweatshirt, Femininitees $56
Mulxiply aims to stabilize economies in the developing world by creating jobs.
- XO Pendant Necklace, Mulxiply $68
One hundred percent of this product's sales are reinvested in the social mission to empower women globally.
- NILEE06, Akola $95
All proceeds will be donated to Planned Parenthood.
- Feminist AF Tee, Jonathan Simkhai $95
All profits fund educational training programs for the women who handcraft Indego Africa's products.
- Poppy Tote, Indego Africa $110
A portion of proceeds will be donated to the American Civil Liberties Union, Planned Parenthood and Shikshya Foundation Nepal.
- We Will Not Be Silenced Tee, Prabal Gurung $130
The purchase of this bag provides 37 school meals for children worldwide.
- Foldover Clutch, Rebecca Minkoff x FEED $145
Products are manufactured in communities Fashionable wishes to impact, thereby creating jobs for women.
- Mamuye Leather Tote, Fashionable $178
On Purpose empowers women in Masoro, Rwanda, by providing them with full-time jobs.
- On Purpose Leather Tote, Kate Spade New York $298
On International Women's Day, fifty percent of all proceeds from ADAY’s site will be donated to Vital Voices, whose mission is to bring visibility to women around the world.
- The Statement Scarf, ADAY x Lisa King $60
For every limited-edition pink 100% Human product sold, Everlane will donate five dollars to Equality Now, an organization that has been fighting to promote equal rights for women around the world since 1992.
- The Human Woman Cotton Box Tee in Small Print, Everlane $22
Twenty percent of sales will be donated to the Free the Nipple campaign and the Human Campaign. The Human Campaign helps facilitate efforts to officially pass the Equal Rights Amendment.
- Libérez le Nipple Tee, La Ligne x Free The Nipple $115
15% of all sales will be donated to Planned Parenthood.
- Rose Gold Tassel Cuff, Maiyet x The Brave Collection $115
100% of proceeds will go to the women of Afghan Hands, an organization that teaches skills to help Afghan widows gain independence, literacy, and livable wages.
- 14K White Gold Fashion Ladies' Ring, Afghan Hands x Gabriel & Co. $960
This sweatshirt is a not-so-subtle way to support women's rights.
- Nasty Sweatshirt, Milly $155
With each purchase, $4 will be donated to the Avon Foundation to fund programs to end violence against women.
- Sterling Silver Empowerment CZ Ring, Avon $20
A.L.C. has created an exclusive and limited-edition T-shirt. All proceeds will be donated to Planned Parenthood.
- The Woman Tee, A.L.C. $98
This beanie was spotted at the women’s marches in Washington DC and New York City.
- PH5 Pink Beanie, PH5 $85
All proceeds will support female survivors of war, helping them rebuild their lives.
- Bibi Scarf, Temperley London $495
Support women's rights with Grace Coddington and her cats!
- Grace Coddington Tee, Marc Jacobs $65
Cuyana has an ongoing Lean Closet program that benefits H.E.A.R.T., an organization that gives back to women who are victims of abuse.
- Silk Wrap Blouse, Cuyana $225
Available in stores, 100% of Theory x LOLA box set purchases helps girls live up to their full potential in the tech industry. Each box set contains 12 handpicked products including health and beauty, fashion and home items.
- Theory x Lola Box Set, Theory x Lola $50
Uwila Warrior was created by women, for women and promotes body positivity.
- Soft Silks with Sayings - "Cranky Pants", Uwila Warrior $45