Confession: we have braids on the brain! A big hit on the fall runways, we are mildly obsessed with this timeless-glamour-meets-street-
The fishtail braid—our plait of the moment—is elegance undone to per-fec-tion! If you’re looking to contrast a more refined look, i.e. to downplay the glamour of a floor-length gown, a loose, texturized fishtail is exactly what you need to infuse some downtown edge into a red-carpet worthy ensemble. Want to get the runway-to-reality translation? Rachel’s BFF and Team Zoe beauty guru, Joey Maalouf, shows us how it’s done!
For the perfect side fishtail braid, follow Joey’s steps:
- If you are starting with clean hair, spritz a little texturizing spray on for volume. For an unwashed mane, give yourself some added texture with a dose of dry shampoo.
- Collect your hair into a loose side ponytail and split it into two sections—for precision, use a styling comb. (Tip: a hair elastic will help temporarily secure your mane while you braid.)
- Take a small bit of hair from the outer side of right section and weave it into the opposite section on the left.
- Repeat on the other side. (Tip: you are going to be weaving more or less hair, depending on the thickness of your strand.) Alternate weaving back and forth until you’ve reached a comfortable place to secure your braid.
- For a more disheveled feel, give your braid a little tug and loosen up your look. If you’re after some added glam, secure your fishtail with a decorative hair tie.
- And of course, a generous application of hairspray is the only way to truly finish this style!
Whether you’re heading out for a weekend brunch or a black tie stunner, weave your way to a next level look with a beautiful braid!